The King Country
Flanked on either side by mountain ranges and containing landforms shaped by the active volcanic zone of the central North Island, the King Country has always been formidable yet fertile farming land.
The name “King Country” was coined in the mid 1800s by Europeans when the Maori King, King Tāwhiao, was based in the region after facing exile from his native Waikato. The area of the King Country was infamously defined when the Māori King threw his hat on a map asserting sovereignty over the area. European accessed the region first as traders in the 1820s, followed by missionaries in the 1830s before it was closed to Europeans from 1864 for approximately twenty years. After this the main trunk line was connected between Auckland and Wellington, traversing the King Country and further opening the region to agricultural development.